European Babywearing Week 2021 – Safe In My Arms
Happy European Babywearing Week! We will be sharing our passion for all things babywearing and our favourite baby carrier brands all this week, and joining with the babywearing celebrations across Europe. Babywearing is part of everyday life and we love to see your photos of those simple moments carrying your baby, whether that’s on the school run, a trip to the park with your toddler, doing the housework and walking the dog. In essence, baby carriers allow us to keep our little ones safe, close and reassured, while we get on with our day to day activities.
European Babywearing Week
Now in its 5th year, this years European Babywearing Week theme is ‘Safe In My Arms’. The close body contact, warmth and the gentle rocking while in the carrier settles and calms babies and gives reassurance to toddlers. Being both practical and nurturing, babywearing is a fantastic tool for caregivers. Find out more about the benefits of babywearing over on our blog >HERE<
As we start to get out and about more and look forward to meeting up with friends and family, babies can feel safest when they are held close to their caregiver. They can study the different scenery and discover new faces from the comfort and security of their carrier. Taking in all these new sensory experiences can be quite overwhelming. However, being held in a sling or carrier babies and toddlers can build their confidence at their own pace in this gentle, nurturing environment. It’s also a wonderful way for little babies to listen to language and study facial expressions up-close.
Whether you love babywearing for the practicalities, or the wonderful closeness and comfort it provide, babywearing offers something very special to both baby and caregiver. Keeping baby safe while in a carrier, stretchy wrap or sling should always be uppermost in the caregivers mind. This is all about the airways, and you should check your baby regularly that airways are always clear while babywearing. Always follow the T.I.C.K.S guidelines for safe babywearing.
- (T)ight: Slings and carriers should be tight enough to hug your baby close. Any loose fabric will allow your baby to slump down in the carrier, which can hinder their breathing and pull on your back.
- (I)n view at all times: You should always be able to see your baby’s face just by glancing down. The fabric of a sling or carrier shouldn’t close around your baby so you have to open it to check on them. In a cradle position your baby should face upwards, and not turned in towards your body.
- (C)lose enough to kiss: Your baby’s head should be as close to your chin as is comfortable. By tipping your head forward, you should be able to kiss your baby on the head or forehead.
- (K)eep chin off the chest: A baby should never be curled so their chin is forced onto their chest as this can restrict their breathing. Make sure there is always a space of at least a finger width under your baby’s chin.
- (S)upported back: In an upright carrier, your sling should carry you baby comfortably close to you to support their back in its natural position. Their tummy and chest should be against you. (Test this by putting your hand on your baby’s back and pressing gently, they should not uncurl or move closer to you.)
Baby Carriers at Babipur
We stock a wide range of baby carriers here at Babipur. From stretchy wraps suitable for kangaroo care of newborn and premature babies, through to toddler and preschool carriers for older children. Many of these will have offers on throughout European Babywearing Week. There will be a carrier to suit you and your child’s needs.
We love this lightweight, easy to use, no-fuss baby carrier. This is a great carrier for days when baby wants to be up and down again. There’s not too much extra padding and bulk and adjusting needed. Made in the UK in a great range of prints. Find our Integra review >HERE< and 15% off Integra carriers for EBW21 >HERE<
Tula carriers are beautiful, stylish, comfortable and ergonomic, and a real customers favourite. These soft structured buckle baby carriers offer fantastic ergonomic support from newborn through to toddler and pre-schooler. Tula’s come in a beautiful range of styles and prints, there’s something for everyone.
Ultra-supportive as your child gets heavier, these are generously sized with a wide size overlap. If you need some extra help on what size you need, or which style would be best for you, contact our trained babywearing team through customer services or take a look at our blog >HERE<
Check out our Tula offers for EBW21 with up to 46% off selected carriers >HERE<
This is one of the newer carrier brands we have stocked at Babipur. This range of carriers from Finland is made from beautiful handwoven fabrics in stunning colours and designs, each one unique. Combining the beauty and desirability of woven fabrics from makers including Girasol, Marimekko and Vanamo with the convenience of a buckle carrier. They also have the most adorable pixie hoods, and are very popular with the team here. Find our Wompat review >HERE< and 15% off Wompat carriers for EBW21 >HERE<
If you are looking for a stretchy wrap for those early days and months, the Close Caboo and Hana wraps are a great choice. Hana wraps are gorgeous stretchy wraps made from organic cotton and silky soft bamboo. With excellent temperature regulation and breathability they are a fantastic option for Kangaroo Care and those 4th trimester days, keeping baby close, comforted and secure.
Shop European Babywearing Week offers on Carriers and Slings at Babipur >HERE<
Share with us!
There are lots more wonderful baby carrier brands to explore at Babipur. You can find out more about them every Wednesday on our Social Media channels #WearThemWednesday
We love to see your special babywearing moments; share your pictures and thoughts with our community! Tag @Babipur on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Or share your pictures with the Babipur community in our Facebook group, Babipur Hangout!