Fluffy Vegan Pancakes with a Tasty Tony’s Chocolonely Topping
Pancake day is just around the corner, Tuesday 16th of February to be exact and as I’m at home for a few days I thought I’d hang up the paint brush and take a break from house renovations. I took some time out to make and share my vegan pancake recipe with you. Purely for the purposes of making sure they were as tasty as I remember them, of course! This has nothing at all to do with the the fact that I’ve been fasting ahead of my glucose tolerance test this morning.
Last year I tried out my first ever vegan pancake recipe and they didn’t disappoint! Even the most un-vegan members of the household were impressed. They are fluffier than any other pancake I’ve ever made and I say the tastiest too!
- 240ml plant based ‘milk’ – I used oat
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 large ripe Fairtrade banana – perfect if they’ve started turning brown
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 ground nutmeg
- 1 large bar of your favourite flavour of Tony’s Chocolonely Fairtrade chocolate – the best bit!
- Start by mashing up the banana. Add the sugar, salt, oil and stir them in. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and combine until thoroughly blended together. Make a well in the middle and gradually add your ‘milk’, whisking it until a batter like thick consistency is formed. Alternatively, you could bung all the ingredients into a blender, liquids first (if you’re in a hurry for your tasty treat that is!).
- Preheat your pan or griddle on a medium heat lightly greasing using oil and a brush. Pour the batter into the pan to your desired size. I made 6 good sized pancakes from our batter
- Cook until the top starts bubbling then gently flip them over and cook until golden
- It’s now Tony’s time! Grab a bar of your favourite flavour and break it up into pieces, try not to eat too many pieces at this stage so that still you’ll have plenty of chocolatey melted goodness to pour onto your pancakes. Place the bowl on a pan of boiling water and gently mix the chocolates until all the pieces have melted.
- Drizzle (or smother!) your melted chocolatey goodness over your pancakes and serve! They’ll taste their best when still warm although I doubt very much they’ll get very much opportunity, if any to cool down!
Share with us!
We’d love to see you and your littles enjoying your pancakes this Shrove Tuesday; share your pictures with our community! Tag @Babipur on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, or share your pictures with the Babipur community in our Facebook group, Babipur Hangout!